It is a national expectation that all teachers in Scotland will engage with the National Approach to LGBT Inclusive Education. This means completing the national CPD and including the LGBT Learning Themes in ordinary teaching and learning.
In secondary schools, LGBT Inclusive Education will typically build upon the learning already established during primary. Themes will be included across all curricular areas in a meaningful and natural way that is relevant to subject learning and suitable for the age and stage of learners. This may include:
- reading texts by LGBT authors or with LGBT themes during English
- learning relevant vocabulary in Modern Languages
- learning more about important and relevant LGBT figures to enchance learning in Maths, Science, Technologies, PE, and more
- studying LGBT history and rights in Social Subjects and RME
- learning from the work of LGBT artists, musicians, actors and writers in Expressive Arts
- lessons around prejudice, anti-bullying and discrimination in Health and Wellbeing
We have a variety of services and resources which can help teachers to get started with LGBT Inclusive Education in the classroom.